Native American tribes are in a unique situation. With an ever advancing tribal natural resources agenda, they encounter issues along the way. Some of these include the following:
- Pressures for Development of Land (for recreational use)
- Treaty Rights threatened
- Tribes' ability to manage reduced
- Jurisdictions overlap
- Tribes losing land base
To address some of these pressing issues, a group of Intertribal natural resource organizations have pulled together to host a tribal natural resource conference. These organizations may propose and prioritize issues and recommendations and how to address them.
This collaborative group though in the initial stage strives to develop an integrative action plan. With the current administration supportive of tribes contributes to increased opportunities for tribes. Realizing the potential outcomes, the coalition seeks to provide the following:
- Clear and concise message to Congress and promote dialogue between tribal leadership, resource professionals, federal and state agencies, environmental organizations and industry through sharing of information.
- A unified tribal natural resources strategy
- Overview of tribal needs in order to support tribal natural resource initiatives and programs, etc...