One Health Webinar Series: Prion Diseases
December 7, 2022, 1:00 PM Mountain Time
The Native American Fish & Wildlife Society (NAFWS) presents a new One Health Webinar Series hosted by Tolani Francisco, DVM. One Health is a collaborative approach to achieving optimal health outcomes that recognizes the interconnectedness of human, animal, and environmental health. Join us to learn of the potential impacts to you, your tribe and receive updates for your region.
The first webinar in the series will focus on Prion Diseases. This rare group of fatal brain diseases caused by infectious prion protein that cause spongelike holes in brain tissue and effects both animals & humans. These disease are not curable although clinical signs can be treated. Types of prion disease include:
- Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE OR “mad cow disease”) in cattle
- Creutzfeldt- Jakob Disease (CJD) and variant CJD in humans,
- Scrapie in sheep, and
- Chronic wasting disease (CWD) in deer, elk, moose, or reindeer.
One Health Webinar Series Schedule
Webinars will take place on the first Wednesday every other month at 1:00PM Mountain Time.
- December 7, 2022 – Prion Diseases
- February 1, 2023 – More Than Marijuana
- April 5, 2023 – Invasive Species and the Diseases They Bring
- June 7, 2023 – Avian Health
- August 2, 2023 – Rabies
- October 4, 2023 – Let’s Talk About Poop
Join for the Webinar
Register the webinar:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.